Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hotels or Hostel what to pick?

Both Hotels and Hostels have their benefits and drawbacks. Hostels offer affordability and a fun atmosphere, but are typically geared towards young travelers. While being inexpensive the hostel may not be suited towards individuals who value their privacy. Hotels offer more privacy than hostels, but they are obviously more expensive. Furthermore, staying in a hotel the entire trip may prevent the traveler from encountering great social experiences while being abroad.


The social environment of many hostels is what makes the experience one of a kind. Fellow travelers meet up in the common room and share stories, play music, or just flat out party together. During my travels I have made many friends while staying at hostels. The inclusive atmosphere makes for an experience all on it's own. Some people you meet may be willing to accompany you for a day or two, while others will offer you a beer while you discuss the differences between your cultures. While in Barcelona I met a group of French, and Dutch guys. The French men spoke little English, and Spanish, while the Dutch were fluent in English. I had to use what French and Spanish I knew to jigsaw together a tri-lingual conversation, while translating for the Dutch guys
.

The dormitory style lodging of hostels may intimidate those who are shy, or use to having their privacy. The idea of sharing your bedroom with complete strangers can be a terrifying experience to some. Even I had my misgivings to this idea at first.(My first trip to Europe was almost exclusively at hotels.) I've had my own uncomfortable situation while staying at another hostel in Barcelona. I had returned to Spain from Italy, and I was staying at a different hostel closer to the center of the city. Once I received my room key I moved to unpack my belongings and settle in. I walked in to my dorm and there were at least six to eight young women in the room. There was one girl changing her top not even concerned that I had walked into their room, two others were working on a bottle of Sauza tequila having a good time. The others were just laying in their beds and conversing in Spanish. I immediately double checked my key card with the room number thinking that I must be on the wrong floor. I thought to myself that there wasn't even room for me here. There was clothes all over the place, empty beer cans on the floor, and  there wasn't a bed that was untouched. Once I recovered from my brief shock I was invited in by the ladies. I asked them in broken Spanish if I had the right room, they assured me it was. I replied "pero todos ustedes son mujeres..."(but you are all women.), and they started laughing. "Si" ,one of them replied,"y eres una mujer tambien?"  I replied, "Maybe for a couple of nights" Getting to the point, you will definitely have some surprises when staying in a hostel, most of them make for great stories and memories. The girls staying in my room for  were from Chile and they were a blast to have around, though they clearly annoyed a French couple that later arrived and their clothes seemed to occupy every new comers bed when they arrived. 

If you do chose to stay at a hostel the experience you take away will be undoubtedly a priceless one. Perhaps if it's a new concept to grasp you should set only a couple of nights out of the way to try it on for size. Another way to go about it, is to take a night in a private room to get some alone time. To find a hostel or hotel you can visit Hostel World or Trip Advisor. Travelzoo also offers some excellent deals on vacation packages.

Hostels
Pros:
-Very Affordable
-Fun Environment
-Great for meeting new friends
-Security Lockers (in most) to store belongings.
-Some offer day excursions to cultural events, and dining
Cons:
-Limited privacy
-Party environment may keep you from sleep
-Some hostels can be very seedy.
Hotels:
Pros:
-Privacy
-Comfort
-Space
-More quiet
Cons:
-Expensive
-Less chance to socialize.

Many Hotels and Hostels will offer some type of breakfast, typically bread and jam, cheese, and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment