Thursday, September 9, 2010

Going Solo!

Traveling solo was one of the most liberating experiences of my life. I was 21 when I first left the United States for Europe alone. Many people I told were surprised to find out I would be going far off on my own. Admittedly it wasn't the ideal situation for me at first. I wanted to bring along a friend to have some company and share my experiences with, but that's why I'm here writing to you. The fact is a lot of people prevent themselves from a spectacular vacation because their friends cannot make the time or afford to go along with them on the journey. I was faced with that situation, but I would not be deterred. It was my dream to visit Europe; I wanted to witness everything I had read about in high school for myself. Those who really want it won't allow anyone to keep them from it. I had about a year to save for my trip, (making minimum wage) so to pass the time, I was researching everything I needed to know. I bought several guides to Europe to research and plan my itinerary. I started deciding which cities to stay in, and finding hotels that suited my budget. I bought a guide to the rail system in Europe to plan the order of my visits. (an upcoming post will explain how to use rail in Europe.)

The biggest concern for the solo traveler will be security. How will I keep myself and my valuables safe? Here are a few strategies I used for myself.( some that I picked up from my guides.) I made my best effort to fit in. Nothing screams tourist like someone sporting a giant backpack with a map in their hands. Try your best to avoid exposure with all your valuables in your possession. I tried to stay at hotels in close range to the train station so I could store my pack in a locker and walk around like a local while I find the place. It may seem like a lot of walking but keep in mind that you move twice as fast when you're not carrying anything. Another important thing is to keep only a small amount of cash in your purse or wallet. I would keep the rest in my money belt. Rick Steves Silk Money Belt, Natural is a link to where you can buy one. Also keep your passport safe. It is common knowledge that pickpocketing is one of the most common types of crime in Europe. I have never had a problem until one of the last days of my trip to Barcelona. I was coming back from a bar with a friend I had met at my hostel, when we were approached by a jubilant guy who seemed to be in  the mood to celebrate. He told me "Let's do the Ronaldinho dance" being a fan of FC Barcelona, and being a bit off guard from having some drinks in me; I decided to humor him and partake in the ritual. He grabbed my arm in his and wrapped his leg with mine. We began jumping in a circle it was kind of fun- until I felt something going on in my pocket, and no I wasn't that happy to see him! What was happening quickly dawned on me and I caught him red handed. I took back my room key, cussed him out in Spanish and before we let him go we suspected he might have something else, but it was just some fake euros I had from people passing out fliers. This proved that it could happen to me, and it can happen to you too so keep your guard up always.

Traveling alone is a wonderful thing. You won't have to worry about going to a boring museum your friend wants to see, you can travel on your terms. If you want you can totally improvise your trip while you are there and you wont need to worry about inconveniencing anyone but yourself. You will have plenty of opportunities getting to know the locals and the freedom you feel will be the ultimate reward. There are times you may feel lonely but they pass and are fixed with meeting new friends and going out on another adventure.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment